Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The world is my oyster?

The new project was assigned yesterday and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.  We are now starting the process of designing our building, but not thinking about our building yet.  We are to find a site for our building (which will be The Harvard Film Archive) on the Harvard campus, somewhere in view of Corbusier's Carpenter Center.  This, however, is harder than you'd think as there is no room for a building on the Harvard Campus.. awesome.

But first we're thinking more abstract and just looking for a space we find interesting on the campus.  This space doesn't actually have to be big enough for a building but should have some relation to the Carpenter Center.  Having never been to Harvard before, I'm relying solely on Bing maps and Goggle maps until Friday when we visit the site.  For sites, right now I'm looking at the space from the Memorial Church to about halfway through the Widener Library.  I am also considering a narrow strip that slides between the Widener Library and the Emerson building and extends from the Weld building to the Carpenter Center.


Harvard Campus Map

Bing Areal View

Documentation due next Friday are a "drawdel" or drawing/model and a photo collage that not only expresses the site/area but also the character of the site.

So the world is my oyster, I can do anything I want.  Now I just have to find the question that leads me to the drawing...

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are in the right direction... find the question that leads to the drawing...

    see?

    ReplyDelete