Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Space vs. Form

So I thought I had found the packet of coffee.  I had decided the packet of coffee looked like a tea bag; see how the top of the wood part has three edges that look kind of like a tea packet?  But this raises a problem with scale; a packet of tea is not bigger than a bottle of wine (sitting beside the would be "packet").  So maybe it's a bag, not a packet.  Maybe it's neither.. I think I've decided the packet of coffee doesn't exist and I am renaming the painting, "Homer Simpson Has a Huge Chin."  Just kidding.. but you see it right??


But seriously, Gris has completely deformed the objects, so how I’m looking at the painting now is just trying to separate the form/object from the space it’s in.  I think the form is the wood colored/grained part and the space is the greeny-blue background and black, which I think represents the surface of a table.  I’m not sure about the two cream colored objects (the wine bottle on the left and the rectangle on the right).  These could either be with the form or in-between the space and the form, but I don’t believe they are part of the space.


Here are some models I've done to try to find the difference:







1 comment:

  1. as homer simpson would say... doh! ;)

    (although, i can see where you're coming from)

    ReplyDelete